Ambiguous Error/Missing columns

I recently configured a few databases today in addition to the canned innovator solutions db.  Throughout the process I needed to delete a database and reconfigure the exact database with a user id change.  I deleted the wrong database, then deleted the correct one.  After attempting to reconfigure the required db's, setting the tag in the config file, and attempting to login I get the following error:

Cannot find either column "protected" or the user-defined function or aggregate "protected.getProtectionToken", or the name is ambiguous.

It is my hope that Mr Gills doesn't tell me to read the book, although I would certainly be appreciative.

Thanks for reading.

Parents
  • Like magic I was able to get into the DB's without re-configuring aras.  Do not know what the issue was.  Perhaps the server took off early for the weekend, who knows.

• Hi Rob,

I don't think this one is covered in our documents. :) 

If I had to take a guess based on the description of the problem and the sudden resolution, I'd say this was probably a caching issue. When you were configuring the new databases, was one of them restored with the same name as a database that was previously deleted?

Chris

• The method we have found best for adding and deleting databases is to:

Run Installer>select add database and all its features>Configure database via aras Installer>cancel installation of aras>Edit config tag with appropriate information: ie, copy and paste most of the connection tag with the credentials being different. Log in.

My Actions:  At first I assumed I needed a different users for each different db in aras, so I started with innovator1, innovator2 ect as a user.  I didn't not make it to innovator2, I found this to be a needless step.  So I deleted the database I built with innovator1, rebuilt the database via aras MSI naming it the exact same database, which as I type I realize the cache explanation make a ton of sense.  Anyway after naming the two databases I deleted the exact name as they were before, setting the tag in the config file and attempting to login prompted that error.

Mr. Gillis, as always I am very grateful.  I hope I was clear and helpful. 

• Happy to help Rob. :)

As a note, it sounds like you might benefit from checking out our blog post on managing databases. The last section, How to restore a database from a backup, goes over the steps we use internally to set up multiple databases. After the database is restored using those steps, you'd just need to add a tag to the config file like you already do, and you should be able to log into the database.

I'm mentioning this method of restoring databases only because I've found it's faster than the method you're currently using. This method would likely also run into the caching issue when restoring a database with the same name. 

Chris

• Hi Chris,

I got exactly the same problem but with a completely new installation. I just cannot login, but no idea how to solve it.

VaultServer / OAuth seem to work properly, LoginPage is loading but no login possible.

Thanks for you help.

BR
    Lennart

Reply Children