CAD Documents - Usage

Hello, could someone tell me when we use CAD Documents?  
  • Coming back on this question. CAD documents are mainly used by CAD integrations. It was set by Aras to standardize the way CAD integrations were made.
  • Yoann, Thank you very much for your answer!
  • Hi, we have done an Aras installation for demo/ test purposes. So we have the free downloaded version, no connectors. On the side of regular documents, parts, BOM etc. everything goes well. Where I get stuck is uploading/ managing CAD (Inventor) files. The question "can you manage CAD files and relationships without a CAD connector" has come up several times (1), but I have not found a clear answer. Aras states many times that it can manage/ vault any kind of file with or without a connector but a clear, concise tutorial is needed! The main question is: Without a CAD connector, do I upload the CAD files in "documents" or in "CAD documents" ("CAD documents are mainly used by CAD integrations. It was set by Aras to standardize the way CAD integrations were made."). Either way, can you give a step-by-step instruction? If CAD models must be uploaded in "CAD documents" it is not clear what the relationship is between the "native file"/ "viewable file" fields and the "files" tab (lower part of the screen, where files are uploaded). Below is a link (2) - instruction that says to first upload the files into the vault and then connect them to the "native" and "viewable" fields. Link to earlier post: [1] community.aras.com/.../ [2] community.aras.com/.../ Hope to hear from you soon. We will do a presentation of Aras upcoming Monday and it would be great if we could show the CAD users their side of Aras. Thanks.
  • Hello, This seems to be a different question than the one that was originally asked in this thread. I'd recommend creating a new forum post and asking this question there in order to maximize visibility to all members of the open Aras community. Chris
    Christopher Gillis Aras Labs Software Engineer