Possible to upgrade from ARAS 11 to 12 using export/import utilities

Im just wondering if it is possible to upgrade ARAS 11SP12 to ARAS 12.0 using only export/import utilities?

If it is, is there any special way/order etc, to do this in?

/Fred Red

Parents
  • Hi Fred,

As a short answer, upgrades between major versions like 11.0 and 12.0 are not possible using solely the export and import tools. Before I go into more detail, I would like to say that upgrades from any version of Aras Innovator are included with an Aras subscription at no additional cost. You can contact [email protected] if you have any additional questions about Aras subscriptions or about the upgrade process.

The ease of an upgrade is dependent on how customized your environment is and on what version you are upgrading from and to. The most straightforward upgrade would be one between service packs like 11 SP12 and 11 SP15 for an environment that included no customizations whatsoever. In this case, it would be fairly easy to upgrade the database using only the import and export tools. As a note, you would also need to upgrade the actual Aras Innovator installation as well which, assuming again that there are no customizations, would just require copying over the updates to the codetree.

Upgrades between major versions like 11.0 and 12.0 are much more difficult. The underlying data model and architecture is not subject to a lot of change between service packs, but it can change drastically between major versions. As a simple example, if a property on a commonly used ItemType is changed or removed between major versions, simply applying an import package may result in the loss of data when that column in the database is dropped.

Chris

Christopher Gillis

Aras Labs Software Engineer

• We were just given a date in MAY for our upgrade to start. This is really bad. We've only used the system for requirements docs, and at that - ONE user does that. I was brought on to have an in-house [awesome] coding resource and I'm getting with Minerva tomorrow to hopefully overcome setting up a dev environment - with v12. I'd really like to start on the newest stuff, so if you could give me better news that'd be great.

• We were just given a date in MAY for our upgrade to start. This is really bad. We've only used the system for requirements docs, and at that - ONE user does that. I was brought on to have an in-house [awesome] coding resource and I'm getting with Minerva tomorrow to hopefully overcome setting up a dev environment - with v12. I'd really like to start on the newest stuff, so if you could give me better news that'd be great.

Children
No Data