How to define message(e.g. error message)

オフライン

Hi Team,

In Aras Method, when displaying error/information/ confirmation message etc. in the message box to the user,
the following is considered as the definition place of the message:
1) UserMessage Item
    ... UserMessage ItemType exists.
        Not shown in TOC after Aras installation.
2) ui_resources.xml
    ... For example, it exists in "{Aras Installed Dir}\Innovator\Client\Solutions\PLM\xml\".
        Of course, when customizing by myself, I prepare ui_resources.xml in another folder.

I have used both before.
But, I want to know the merits and demerits of each.
Should I separate those depending on situation ?

Parents
  • Hi NiNi,

I wasn't aware the UserMessage ItemType existed until I saw this post, so thank you for teaching me something new. :) 

I believe the main difference would be that Server-side methods are not able to lookup any error messages in the ui_resources.xml files. If you wanted to store a generic message for C# or VB methods, you would need to store them as UserMessage items in the database, so they could be looked up on the server.

Chris

Christopher Gillis

Aras Labs Software Engineer

• Hi NiNi,

I wasn't aware the UserMessage ItemType existed until I saw this post, so thank you for teaching me something new. :) 

I believe the main difference would be that Server-side methods are not able to lookup any error messages in the ui_resources.xml files. If you wanted to store a generic message for C# or VB methods, you would need to store them as UserMessage items in the database, so they could be looked up on the server.

Chris

Christopher Gillis

Aras Labs Software Engineer

Children