Show part thumbnail onmouseover in search or relationship grid

So let's say I have a list of parts in a view. Whether that's the BOM view of a specific assembly, or the default search for parts, filtered by some criteria such as "engines," either way this is a relevant question.

My users want to be able to hover over (mouse over) these rows and display in a small popup the thumbnail for each part as they move.

Here is a screenshot from the legacy system we migrated from, where the user has moused-over one of the image icons shown, to display the thumbnail for the part in a larger temporary popup window (that disappears when they mouse away from the image icon):

Replicating similar behavior would be ideal, but there are any number of possible alternatives to this that would theoretically work as well. 

The end goal is that the user doesn't have to open each part to see the thumbnail for that part and get an idea for what the part might actually be (there are a lot of poorly-named parts in our system due to years and years of inconsistently-applied naming policies, so this isn't something we can simply ignore or fix easily).

Reducing clicks would also be a key factor to a successful implementation of this.

Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • Hi Kai and Angela,

There is a no code solution, but it is Chrome based, and needs to be installed by the user.

It is a Chrome extension called "Imagus". When installed and activated in your Chrome it will display the full size image upon hover over any image like a thumbnail in a grid.

Obviously a pain to roll-out, but it just works.

Kind regards

• Hi Kai and Angela,

There is a no code solution, but it is Chrome based, and needs to be installed by the user.

It is a Chrome extension called "Imagus". When installed and activated in your Chrome it will display the full size image upon hover over any image like a thumbnail in a grid.

Obviously a pain to roll-out, but it just works.

Kind regards

Children
  • 0 オフライン in reply to Riaan H

Riaan,

Huh, you're right, this worked, thanks Riaan! Had to fiddle with the settings a bit, but it did the trick. , this doesn't fix the performance problems of course, but it's a nifty (and fast) way to on-hover image display.

• Haha, I worked 4-5 years on this just to be now outsmarted by a Chrome extension Joy

This is indeed an elegant solution! Not everybody needs the images, but some users really benefit from getting a detailed view of something quick&easy. 

I right now use the variant, to make the images as big as possible in the grid by modifying the stylesheets. Works well for generic stuff, but of course you still cannot see a lot of details. A variant for full size view of something really bring a lot of benefits.

Regarding performance: Either have a powerful machine or use codetree images whenever possible. Just keep an eye on it. I really don´t know the situation in recent Innovator versions. But if suddenly loading the Parts grid (or other) gets strongly delayed for everybody at the same time, the images are high-likely your root cause. 

• 0 オフライン in reply to AngelaIp

By the way I see Imagus is available on Edge as well.