ARAS Job Scheduler System Stress

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any documentation on the impact of running methods through the Job Scheduler application. Would a method running in the Job Scheduler affect the user's experience?

Thanks,

Josh Bowden

Parents
  • Hi Josh,

I like this question and it deserves an answer!

I don´t think there is much official documentation regarding this one, cause the answer is somewhere between "Yes" and "No".

Any single Method in Innovator can have some influence to the user experience. Just image you have the following combination:

1. A huge query for thousand of items and sub-items that you programmed the most inefficient way (no 'select' attribute, many repeating queries,...).
    2. Your database server is a machine that just fulfills the minimal system requirements to run Innovator at all. 

In this constellation even while testing your Method you will notice that it might take some time until the execution was finished.

If you now execute this Method on in quick succession via the Scheduler, your already stressed out server will be even more busy. This can lead to the situation that regular users face performance issues, even when they don´t know that there is something running in the background.

It´s your task as admin to avoid this situation:

1. Make your code as efficient as possible.

2. Run your heavy jobs only at a time where only minimum amount of users are logged in (=night time)

3. If you really have to run your heavy code during work time, always ensure first if it really has to fully execute. For example you have a sync function to another database, then only execute when there really was changed data.

3.1 If you really have to run your heavy code during work time, don´t execute your code on the main server, but on the conversion server.

4. Extend your server hardware on a regular basis. You can always start low budget, but as soon you have more users who do more work in the system, ensure your servers keep up.

Would be happy if anyone know additional tips that can help to ensure server performance :-)

Angela

• Thank you for these considerations! I will definitely keep this in mind when designing my methods. 

Reply Children
No Data