Query on SMTP set up

Hello All,

I want to use send grid as SMTP server in Aras. To achieve this we have provided send grid server in InnovatorServerConfig.xml file like <Mail SMTPServer="smtp.sendgrid.net"/>.

Even after configuring this I won’t be able to send email.

Then I have configured SMTP E-mail for InnovatorServer in IIS by specifying credentials of send grid. After configuring send grid in IIS it’s respective entries came in web.config file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Aras\Innovator\Innovator like below

<system.net>
        <mailSettings>
            <smtp from="*">
                <network defaultCredentials="false" host="smtp.sendgrid.net" password="*" port="587" userName="*" />
            </smtp>
        </mailSettings>
</system.net>

Now I successfully able to send email notification.

Requirement: Is there any way that I can send mail notification using send grid without configuring send grid in IIS ? If  yes please provide details steps to do that.

1. Do I need to provide additional details about send grid in <Mail SMTPServer="smtp.sendgrid.net"/> Within InnovatorServerConfig.xml ? If yes please provide example.

2. While looking at different configuration files within the innovator we  found  that , there is some configuration related to “NotificationServer.aspx” in web.config file within C:\Program Files (x86)\Aras\Innovator\Innovator\Server like below.

<!--Specify the providers; if authentication mode="Basic" then use Example1, if mode="Windows" or another use Example2-->
<!--If you want to use NotificationServer then you need to use Example3-->
<Aras>
<Net>
<RequestProvider>
<providers>
<!--Example1:-->
<!--<provider uriPattern="{uriPattern}" type="{type}">
<authentication mode="{mode}">
<Basic>
<credentials>
<user name="{name}" password="{password}"/>
</credentials>
</Basic>
</authentication>
<Proxy mode="{mode}">
<Basic>
<credentials>
</credentials>
</Basic>
</Proxy>
</provider>-->
<!--Example2:-->
<!--<provider uriPattern="{uriPattern}" type="{type}">
<authentication mode="{mode}">
</authentication>
<Proxy mode="{mode}">
</Proxy>
</provider>-->
<!--Example3:-->
<provider uriPattern="NotificationServer.aspx">
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<!--<Proxy mode="Basic">
<Basic>
<credentials>
</credentials>
</Basic>
</Proxy>-->
</provider>
</providers>
</RequestProvider>
</Net>
</Aras>

Is this the web.config file where we need to provide send grid server details? If yes please provide an example.

Regards,
Nilesh Vetal

• Innovator right now does not offer the possibility to specify settings like port directly in the InnovatorServerConfig xml. There are tons of support requests for this feature, but I don´t think it´s really something Aras is working on. 

Right now you have to specify all via IIS. You said you can successfully send emails already? Than your solution should be fine.

I faced the similar challenge, but weren´t able to solve emailing via IIS. It´s possible to use custom code for emailing. In my case I replaced parts of the Innovator emailing engine with a custom version that allowed me to email without changing anything in IIS and specify credentials in the server config file. But it´s not as elegant to use as the inbuilt email service.