Fixed vs hard fixed difference

オフライン

whats the difference between fixed and hard fixed relatioship

Parents
  • There are diagrams around these terms and usage in :"10 - Defining Lifecycles and Versioning" of the "Aras_Innovator12_Configuring Solutions_StudentGuide_JUNE_2020.pdf" from the Configuring Solutions class. Unfortunately, this is not clear to me from the materials. I know there are four kinds and the difference of Fixed and Float, but not what "Hard" does to these.

• 0 オフライン in reply to neil.lindberg

Hello Neil, I know that hard fix fixes to one specific generation no matter what happens but what about just simple fix what does that do

• 0 オフライン in reply to hkhan

I just re-read Unit 10 and unfortunately the info needs updated to include better definitions. I'm going to watch this post as I don't know the answer myself. I will leave you with a quote from the class materials that may help with further investigation:
    This behavior is in accordance with the CMII standard.

• It´s not so difficult (when you have mastered it after 3 endless years)

"Hard" says, that the behavior cannot be overwritten by the LifeCycle (if you have one). 

For classical Parts this would mean:

Float -> BOM item will automatically float to it´s latest version, as long as you haven´t released your parent. On release it behavior will be overwritten to Fixed and then freeze the version.

Hard Float -> In your relationship, ALWAYS the newest item will be linked, no matter if we are in Preliminary, Released of whatever

Hard Fixed -> In your BOM relationship, nothing will be updated automatically. If you use Generation 3 of a Part, it will remain Generation 3, no matter if the state has changed or if there already 17 newer version of the Part.

I actually prefer using Hard Fixed for most of our tasks to prevent unwanted changes.

• It´s not so difficult (when you have mastered it after 3 endless years)

"Hard" says, that the behavior cannot be overwritten by the LifeCycle (if you have one). 

For classical Parts this would mean:

Float -> BOM item will automatically float to it´s latest version, as long as you haven´t released your parent. On release it behavior will be overwritten to Fixed and then freeze the version.

Hard Float -> In your relationship, ALWAYS the newest item will be linked, no matter if we are in Preliminary, Released of whatever

Hard Fixed -> In your BOM relationship, nothing will be updated automatically. If you use Generation 3 of a Part, it will remain Generation 3, no matter if the state has changed or if there already 17 newer version of the Part.

I actually prefer using Hard Fixed for most of our tasks to prevent unwanted changes.

Children