How to create a new Part TOC menu item that does a custom search?

Hi, On the ACE 2017 Europe conference, a technique that utilized Federated Data to add a TOC menu item that did a custom search was showcased. In my case, I want to add a new TOC menu item, besides the Part menu item, that searches among Released Parts. I.e., the menu item should be called "Parts Released", clicking it and then clicking the "Run Search" button should return a list of parts that are released. On the conference, they said that I should create a new dummy ItemType, and redirect its requests to the real Part by modifying the onBeforeGet to server event. Apparently this is related to data federation according to the presenter. However, I do not remember the exact steps to implement this. I got the impression that there should example code demonstrating this on Aras' GitHub page. However, I have browsed through several pages of Aras' repositories on GitHub, and I cannot find any project that sounds to be what I am looking or. Does anybody know how to achieve what I am asking for? Or where sample code can be found? Please tell me if you want me to clarify anything in my description. Thanks,
Parents
  • Hi, first of all I'd love to thank all the users for your input.
    I am also facing problem of creating "fake" items instead of custom searches - in my case for chosen classes of Documents.

To give you the picture I have added new Item types reflecting all properties and permissions of Document item type. I added server event (found here :)) to "redirect" to Documents item type and set it "onGet", "onAdd", "onUpdate" also added 1 client event to enable Add new to create new Document (2 line JS also found here)

For now I am able to lock unlock or save as the "fake" item but first I have to open and close the item, I guess to keep to "original item" in place. When I try without this step, it tries to get the "fake" item type.
    With refreshing the topic I'd like ask if some of you tried to make all the buttons and actions "cloned" from original item type?

Thanks, Best regards.

• Hi, first of all I'd love to thank all the users for your input.
    I am also facing problem of creating "fake" items instead of custom searches - in my case for chosen classes of Documents.

To give you the picture I have added new Item types reflecting all properties and permissions of Document item type. I added server event (found here :)) to "redirect" to Documents item type and set it "onGet", "onAdd", "onUpdate" also added 1 client event to enable Add new to create new Document (2 line JS also found here)

For now I am able to lock unlock or save as the "fake" item but first I have to open and close the item, I guess to keep to "original item" in place. When I try without this step, it tries to get the "fake" item type.
    With refreshing the topic I'd like ask if some of you tried to make all the buttons and actions "cloned" from original item type?

Thanks, Best regards.

Children
  • Hi LukSor,

please notice that this one is a 3 year old discussion and project made by strangers from the internet :). 

In Innovator 12 Saved Searches improved so I am not sure if this project is still worth the effort.

I am not aware of your 'need to open/close behavior'. Maybe you check out the github project that is linked somewhere which contain the lastest code and not just code snippets. 

It´s possible to manually add Actions or Reports to the fake item, but this is a lot of work when you want to do many of them. I once make a couple of tests to automatically assign the Actions and Reports by CUI Methods, even have somewhere around an old code sample if you really want to take this topic seriously. 

Angela