Force user to delete their browser cache?

Hi, When adding new features to an Aras instance, it is sometimes necessary for users to clear their browser cache. What is the best way to force users to delete their browser cache? I don´t think it´s technically possible to do this automatically, is it? How do other users deal with it? Are their any best practice tips (except sending a notification message)? Thanks!!
Parents
  • Hi Angela, Typically, the URL should re-point to the most recent salt value if you try to navigate to a url with an older salt directly. If this isn't happening, you can also try to follow the steps below to change a salt value in the database.
    1. Login as admin
    2. Navigate to Administration > Variables
    3. Search for the "Aras.MetadataService.Salt" Variable
    4. Increment this value by 1 whenever you want to push a change to your clients
      • e.g. 0 > 1 > 2 > 3 > etc.
      • Similar to the value in the web.config, you should use whole numbers without '.' or '-'
    5. Save, Unlock, and Close this Variable
    Incrementing this variable should force the cache to reload the next time your end users login. Chris ______________________________ Christopher Gillis Aras Labs Software Engineer  
  • I can't even find this variable.

Reply Children
  • In Innovator 9.3 Release Notes, I see that:

Introduced a Variable Item "Aras.Client.MetadataService.Url.Salt" that can be used to force the metadata cache to reload. By increasing the value of the variable by 1, the end users will refresh the metadata cache the next time they log in.

• This post and the solution provided by Chris were intended for Innovator 11. I don´t know if the variable is still used or required in Innovator 12+. 

Since I use Innovator 12 I never had trouble with cache problems. I only change the web.config counter in case of codetree modifications. That´s it.

Only scenario that can lead to trouble is if user stored the wrong link to an Innovator instance that contain X-salt value or some tokens. This is a constant pain, case users like to bookmark the Innovator link and often don´t read the hints I gave them in the introduction email, to not "star" the link but to add it manually.

How is your experience?

• Yes normaly update web.config works for client and server sides