Will Effectivity destroy product traceabilty?

Hi,

Sorry for the clickbait title. But I really struggle to understand the purpose of the Effectivity feature integrated in newer Aras versions.
It tried to find somebody at Ace Europe 2018 who could explain me the practical use of Effectivity, but somehow even most of the Aras employees didn´t seem to understand the feature.

From my current point of view, it´s a nice feature…that will only work in theory. I especially struggle to understand how Effectivity shall integrate into the regular change and variant management.

One answer I got was: "Effectivity defines an item structure based on conditions, like date." 
So is Effectivity equal to Change Management – just without revision handling? But how can stackholders then identify an item in reality? How do they track changes?

Let´s assume you have 3 versions of a product with the same revision E, but 3 effectivity structures. How will you handle these products in your storage area? What about product compliance? How do employees know, that the three products are not equal (maybe via serial number?)? And will a revision change destroy your effectivy structures?

Would be happy if somebody could explain me the puprose of effectivy and how to use it! Maybe things are easier, than I rate them right now.

Thanks!
Angela 

Parents
  • Although still nobody were able to answer this question, I will not give up on this topic. I realized, that I have to look at the whole Effectivity topic in a much larger scale. 

I have found an old slide deck from 2012 were effectivity were definied as followed:

https://www.slideshare.net/ArasPLM/aras-innovative-plm-manufacturing-applications.

This concept sounds excellent! And it shows, that we shouldn´t have a PLM-centric view at Effectivity. The above concept requires access to the ERP system, like SAP of similar. This could be achieved with Federation.

Then instead of using effectivity on our own EBOM (which I somehow will never understand) we use effectivity on the corresponding federated data. It´s just a different kind of tree-grid-view, but it would perfectly blend in. 

• Although still nobody were able to answer this question, I will not give up on this topic. I realized, that I have to look at the whole Effectivity topic in a much larger scale. 

I have found an old slide deck from 2012 were effectivity were definied as followed:

https://www.slideshare.net/ArasPLM/aras-innovative-plm-manufacturing-applications.

This concept sounds excellent! And it shows, that we shouldn´t have a PLM-centric view at Effectivity. The above concept requires access to the ERP system, like SAP of similar. This could be achieved with Federation.

Then instead of using effectivity on our own EBOM (which I somehow will never understand) we use effectivity on the corresponding federated data. It´s just a different kind of tree-grid-view, but it would perfectly blend in. 

Children
No Data