How to handle spam protecton in community areas

Preventing spam is an important but also challenging task in maintaining quality in an online community.
Spam can be frustrating for community administratos, but also for the average community user.
You might already use some basic spam protection services, like a recaptcha or similar. But it's also important to check the content of your users' posts.
Of course you honor freedom of speech and censorship conflicts with your personal attitude. So what options do you have?

Your system may provide you a workflow that helps to prevent inappropriate content from being shown in the community. 
If you notice, that certain users repeatedly submit inappropriate content, abuse detection by counting forbidden keywords would maybe a good place to start.
Some systems may call this feature "Forbidden Word Counts".
There is a possibility that your system may provide this and other helpful features in Administration > Moderation > Abuse Automation.

Parents
  • also agreed with @angelalp  that spam issue raise day by day it would be taking seriously 

• オフライン in reply to Baxter07

After about one year of abstinence in visiting this community, just by chance I found my bookmark and thought:

Lets have a look what has changed. My first click went to the community forum and guess with what I has welcomed with?

Pages and pages of spam with chinese/asian (non-latin) characters!

Just as it was when I quited following this forums because of the this spam issue seemingly was not addressed at all.

One year, and nothing has changed, this is a bit of a shame!

So long, members. I guess I just can wait another year with my next click to see if/what has changed... 

• Hi ohuber01,

don´t run away! I think it´s getting better now!

And let´s be honest. What is common for PLM users? We are capable of suffering! It only took Aras 10 years to fix the refresh button in Innovator, so one year for fixing spam is really fast! :)

Until then, we do what we always do in the PLM world. We try to get along with things. 

But jokes aside, Aras right now really address this topic. Spam today is not an easy task. Don´t underrate the amount of work required to keep anything that you host online tidy. 

Let´s hope the best!

• Hi ohuber01,

don´t run away! I think it´s getting better now!

And let´s be honest. What is common for PLM users? We are capable of suffering! It only took Aras 10 years to fix the refresh button in Innovator, so one year for fixing spam is really fast! :)

Until then, we do what we always do in the PLM world. We try to get along with things. 

But jokes aside, Aras right now really address this topic. Spam today is not an easy task. Don´t underrate the amount of work required to keep anything that you host online tidy. 

Let´s hope the best!

Children
  • オフライン in reply to AngelaIp

Hello Angelalp

Thank you for the nice reply which made me chuckle again!

Especially the 10-Year-Refreshbutton-Fix!

And thank you for reminding me that spam protection might not be an easy task, which I really believe.

Sorry if I might have sounded a bit harsh. So thumbs up for the people who are in charge for a spam clean environment here in the community.

As you wrote, we PLM users are capable of suffering.

Maybe this is because PLM might also be the abbreviation for

"P raying for the L iberation of Software issues whilst doing M editation (or M onths of testing)".