This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

APPLICATION - PRODUCT ENGINEERING - Help with revisions and deleting/purging

BobG - Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:00 AM:

Hello - newbie needing help here.

Is there a way to view various revisions at the same time?

E.g. if I have a Part with revisions A and B, can I see them on the main Parts search listing screen one after the other? Just because one is superceded doesn't mean I don't need easy access to its data.

Secondly, can someone explain to me the difference between deleting and purging? I confess I've found the 'Product Engineering online help' file pretty limited and if there's a better reference out there, I'm all ears!

Many thanks

Bob

Background: we're a small startup company, I'm the only one using Aras Innovator. I'm using it to manage the BOM. I use it with extensive admin privileges, and have added various connections to lifecycles to allow me to advance between states (and back) without using ECOs. I do intend to start doing it 'properly' in future, but not yet!

BobG - Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:38 AM:

I have only just discovered the 'ask innovator' help here: aras10.mitekusa.com/.../Just_Ask_Innovator.htm

This is very useful, but hasn't answered my questions above - so any help is still much appreciated!

Bob

CycleOp - Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:55 AM:

Hello Bob,

Regarding viewing 2 versions at the same time - This cannot be done from the main grid. You could only see one version at a time, but the version you see depends on the filter you selected (like 'effective', 'latest' or 'released')

Your alternatives are to right click on the part and select revisions to view all existing revisions, and then use double click to view a selected generation or revision.

Alternatively you can run the structure browser tool (right click your part), and then select to see a side by side comparison of the selected version and another version.

Other capabilities are available, but not out of the box.

With regards to the difference between purge and delete - 'Delete' deletes all possible versions / generations of the object (assuming you have permissions) and purge only deleted the latest available generation.

Hope I helped.

[email protected]

www.cycleop.com

RobMcAveney - Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:05 AM:

There are actually a couple ways of showing multiple versions of the same item on the main grid.  Start by switching to Advanced search mode and including criteria for generation > 0.  This turns off the logic that prevents only one generation (usually the current version) from being returned.  If you want to do the same in Simple search mode you can expose the generation property on the main grid and use generation = *

BobG - Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:24 AM:

Thanks both.

Rob - I got this working, thanks. I see the problem now, though, that it displays all Generations as separate lines and not just each Revision. Is there a solution to that, or am I stuck? (I have many generations as I've spent a long time fiddling as I get to know Innovator!)

Sagi - relating to deleting, am I right in thinking I can only delete an item (e.g. Part or CAD Document) if I haven't linked it to another item somehow (e.g. including it in a BOM, adding a file to it)?

Cheers

Bob

RobMcAveney - Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:57 AM:

When a generation gets released it sets the Released flag.  Set criteria in Advanced search for Released = true and Generation > 0 and you will only get released generations.

You are correct that you can only delete items that are not referenced by other items.  So for example if you create Part X and Document Y, then create a relationship from X to Y you will no longer be able to delete Y.  However, if you delete X it will also delete the relationship.  Then you'll be able to delete Y.

BobG - Friday, June 24, 2016 9:23 AM:

Thanks Rob, helpful again.