Express ECOs - Renumber and Supersede

When using the express ECO there are 2 actions (Renumber and Supersede) that are either; not working correctly or the documentation is unclear.  For renumber and supersede there are no updates to the BOM as the documentation implies.

My understanding from the PE documentation is:

Renumber replaces an existing Part with its copy. The existing Part is copied as a new Part, which is assigned a new Part number, and released. The copied Part becomes the replacement Part in the BOM in which it is defined and supersedes the old Part.

1. I see that on promoting express ECO to Draft Changes that a new part is created and the old part is marked as superseded. However, the Part is not replaced in the BOM.
  2. although it says "Superseded" there is no obvious way to view this on the BOM or what part superseded it.

Supersede globally replaces one released Part with another released Part. The original Part is superseded.

1. I see that on promoting express ECO to Draft Changes that the old part is marked as superseded. However, the Part is not replaced in the BOM.
  2. On the assembly part I see that it says "Superseded" there is no obvious way to view the superseded part except by navigating through ECO.

The pictures show Assembly 1 contains Part 1 that I renumbered and Part 2 that is superseded.

(For comparison: When I do a revise action on a part in the context of assembly the new revision of the part floats to the assembly. This behaves correctly and the traceability is clear in redline mode).

Can you confirm the steps that the user should take to use renumber and supersede correctly, Thanks

• Hi Leigh,

as you work for a company that sells a Express ECO mod by themselves, you should no about the leaks in Innovator change management :). . 
    Especially the traceability task is solved much better by other PLM vendors. 

I think you use both of the Actions the correct way. But both Renumber and Supersede do not contain a lot of additional functionality. As far as I know this two actions, you have to take care for the BOM replacements by yourself. But maybe you can use the edit relationship action within your ECO?

From my POV I wouldn´t like an automatic replacement of superseded/renumbered Parts in the BOM. From my POV it´s dangerous. Released BOM data is used in various places (ERP, MPP, etc.). You have to take for all this data.

Supersede should mainly influence new created BOMs ("do not use old stuff"), while old BOMs may not have to reference to the new Part. I prefer Alternates and Substitutes to highlight these kind of changes. You can automate this task by adding the necessary functions in the transition handlers by yourself.

Angela