How to roll-up cycle times and costs of MBOM in Aras MPP Process Plans?

At the moment, we can add cycle times and setup times to operations, and cycle times to steps. But this information does not display anywhere once entered. That is fine, but at least if there was the ability to roll-up the cycle times of all the operations in the Process plan, taht would be great. Has anybody attempted this on their isntances?

On a similar vein, the phantoms and MBOM only parts consumed have costs associated with them (for ex. I intend to have 'Material' category parts in the MBOM (we use polyureethanes for casting) as the quantity and hence the cost of the material is a process parameter and not an EBOM item. Is there any way to roll-up the 'MBOM cost'? Would appreciate if anybody could point me in the direction of how to set this up

Regards

Sachin

Parents
  • Hi Sachin,

we also plan to do something similar in the future. I haven´t worked on this yet, but already thought about a few concepts. The following text is more some kind of brain-storming, do not take it too serious! But I would be very happy to hear how you solved this one.

I already asked Aras about the cycles times. So far, the values are not used for any calculation.

For calculation cycle/setup-times I wouldn´t use the exact same cost goal rollup concept which is used in Parts. Part and the Part BOM are multilevel structures, so you have to calculate over multiple levels. MPP Process Plans normally just contain one additional level for Operations and another level including the Steps. (Exception: ProcessPlans that are used in ProcessPlans....)

So my first idea was to add two additional "sum" properties, one in ItemType 'Process Plan' and another one in 'Operations'.

Regarding the calculation, I had two ideas:

1. Use classical onAfterAdd/onAfterUpdate/onAfterDelete/onAfterVersion Methods that updates the "sum" properties as soon Users modify Steps and Operations. The events could trigger a SQL procedure to update the parent Items cyle time properties. I am not sure, how complicated this one will become for multilevel ProcessPlans.
    2. Use federation to calculate the cycle time

One thing that propably should be solved with additional Methods:
    The current properties do not specify any units and do not contain some kind of unit conversion. So we have to ensure, people enter valid values and stick to certain units (minutes, seconds).

Another issue will be, were to display the cycle-time calculations. I do not want to use some kind of "Cost-Roll Up report" like it is used in ItemType Part. It´s possible to add additional properties to MPP, but it´s also some work that has to be done.

Regarding MBOM cost rollup. It somehow reminds me to Effectity. The MBOM costs are not fixed EBOM values, but are more depending from what you actually used for your product. Maybe the costs and cost roll-up can federated. But that´s just a quick idea...

Angela

• Hi Sachin,

we also plan to do something similar in the future. I haven´t worked on this yet, but already thought about a few concepts. The following text is more some kind of brain-storming, do not take it too serious! But I would be very happy to hear how you solved this one.

I already asked Aras about the cycles times. So far, the values are not used for any calculation.

For calculation cycle/setup-times I wouldn´t use the exact same cost goal rollup concept which is used in Parts. Part and the Part BOM are multilevel structures, so you have to calculate over multiple levels. MPP Process Plans normally just contain one additional level for Operations and another level including the Steps. (Exception: ProcessPlans that are used in ProcessPlans....)

So my first idea was to add two additional "sum" properties, one in ItemType 'Process Plan' and another one in 'Operations'.

Regarding the calculation, I had two ideas:

1. Use classical onAfterAdd/onAfterUpdate/onAfterDelete/onAfterVersion Methods that updates the "sum" properties as soon Users modify Steps and Operations. The events could trigger a SQL procedure to update the parent Items cyle time properties. I am not sure, how complicated this one will become for multilevel ProcessPlans.
    2. Use federation to calculate the cycle time

One thing that propably should be solved with additional Methods:
    The current properties do not specify any units and do not contain some kind of unit conversion. So we have to ensure, people enter valid values and stick to certain units (minutes, seconds).

Another issue will be, were to display the cycle-time calculations. I do not want to use some kind of "Cost-Roll Up report" like it is used in ItemType Part. It´s possible to add additional properties to MPP, but it´s also some work that has to be done.

Regarding MBOM cost rollup. It somehow reminds me to Effectity. The MBOM costs are not fixed EBOM values, but are more depending from what you actually used for your product. Maybe the costs and cost roll-up can federated. But that´s just a quick idea...

Angela

Children