Adjusting the visualization of graph

Hi everyone,

a few months ago I had asked a question about displaying relations:

https://community.aras.com/f/applications/8963/displaying-relation-between-parts-found-in-different-product-structures

which led to creating a graph/web as shown below.

I've got 2 follow up questions:

• Is there a way to hide/remove the middle blocks with randomly generated ID numbers when I expand an 'Assembly'.
  • Is there a way to give each "type" of block a different colour? (e.g. Assembly = red, Component = blue, Software = Purple")

Thanks in advance! I truly appreciated the help I got earlier.

I'm happy to answer questions if necessary.

• Hello,

There's two different ways to apply a View Card via a graph definition. The first is to set up a Default View Card which will apply to all nodes in the graph of a specific ItemType. The second is to go to the Nodes relationship and set up a node-specific view which will override any Default View Card.

The nodes here basically correspond to the nodes of your Query Definition, so it is possible to have property-specific nodes if you configure your Query in a specific way. In this case, you would need to add a different node to your query for each classification you want to style like the query definition in the screenshot below.

Each of these nodes (Assembly Parts, Component Parts, Software Parts) will then appear in your Graph View Definition and you can style them accordingly.

In regards to your first question, this is most easily done for direct relationships. When you initially create the Graph View Definition, you should be prompted with a dialog that allows you to select some different options. If you leave "Treat Relationship as Connector" checked, then the middle elements should not show up in the final graph. I believe it is also possible to manually configure a graph definition to do this, though I don't have experience with it. If this connection is not a direct relationship in your query definition, would you be able to share what your query definition looks like?

Chris

Christopher Gillis

Aras Labs Software Engineer

• Thank you so much Christopher !!
    helped a lot!

I can't seem to get it to work completely.

Currently, my query definition looks like this. I tried to copy what you had done.

The issue now is that when I press on "Show graph" on an assembly/part, it gives me this image.

I seem to be missing one step to get it all working.

I'm fairly certain it has to do with:

[[Assembly BOM].related_id=Part.id]

[[Component BOM].related_id=Part.id]

[[Software BOM].related_id=Part.id]

since they are all ending with Part.id, whereas yours has Assembly Parts.id / Component Parts.id / Software Parts.id

Do you know how I could create these parts.id?

• Hello Christopher, 

I was wondering if you could help me please