Employee Spotlight: Illia Istomin, Infrastructure Software Engineer

Employee Spotlight: Illia Istomin, Infrastructure Software Engineer

Where did you grow up?
Ukraine, Kiev

What was your first or strangest job?
I have worked in Ministry of Emergencies of Ukraine. That was first and strangest job - I had to work with both chemicals, and lots of very different and strange people.

What do you like most about your current job?
To be a part of fast-growing team, going to take over the PLM world and visible ability to influence, enhance, automate and speedup this process. And surely, friendly colleagues.

What is your greatest accomplishment, work or personal?
Fast growth in IT bound to constant relocation to Minsk. It seems I have caught the lucky wave.

Tell us a fun fact about you.
I've hitchhiked from Kiev to Baikal lake thru Minsk, Saint-Petersburg, Moscow, Nizhny Novgorod, Omsk, Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk. That took 2.5 month, I hiked 15,000 km and walked 500 km. This was a spontaneous decision, but this travel highly influenced my life, particularly in "What I want to do further and who I want to be." In fact, this led me to IT and finally now to Aras :)

Pick three words to describe yourself.
Insistent. Thoughtful. Open-minded.

What is one thing on your bucket list?
Visit Tibet and Shaolin.

What is your favorite quote?
"Per aspera ad astra". Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Do you have any hobbies outside of work?
Sure. One can't not have any hobbies :) Blizzard fan (gaming), book lover (reading), rare/old books collector.

You’re about to perform in a karaoke bar. What song do you pick?
Despite the fact I sing like a bear, I'd took Ariya - Symphony of fire. This song is about reading, thinking and history. History, that must be saved. Authors were inspired by "Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451".

If you could hang out with anyone for a day, who would it be and why?
No variants - my wife. That happens not so often.