Employee Spotlight: Christine Longwell, Product Marketing Manager

Employee Spotlight: Christine Longwell, Product Marketing Manager

Where did you grow up?
Washington, D.C.

What was your first or strangest job?
I was a bartender at a country club through college. When I interviewed for my first internship in college, the hiring manager laughed at that, and I responded, "Where else do you think you can find an engineer who can actually talk to people?" Needless to say I got the job.

What do you like most about your current job?
I love the storytelling aspect of taking technical information and transforming it into something people can understand at a business level. We can make the most amazing software in the world, but if we can't articulate how it solves someone's business problems it won't matter. It is also great to be in a role that follows emerging trends in the technology. I routinely did that when I was working in industry as an engineer, and now it is a part of the job I get paid to do.

What is your greatest accomplishment, work or personal?
The most important role in my life is parenting my 15 year old son and my 13 year old daughter. As a single mom I have tried to teach them to find something they love to do and go after it with conviction. I have worked from home most of their lives, and they are very aware of the commitment it takes to be successful. Everyday is bring your kids to work day and mine are particularly good at being independent and helping me work. It's also nice having minions to make coffee!

Tell us a fun fact about you.
I live in the suburbs, but I am passionate about chickens! I have a coop in the backyard, and a flock of about 6 hens that lay blue, green, peach, and speckled eggs. They aren't very smart, but they have endearing personalities and my neighbors don't mind the fresh eggs..

Pick three words to describe yourself.
Resourceful, Stubborn, Patient

What is one thing on your bucket list?
When my kids have finished school I fully plan to take a sabbatical and sail the Caribbean for 6-9 months. I try to go to the Annapolis Sailboat show every year to keep up on gear and trends. I will look at the new Beneteaus and think in about 8 years I might have one.

What is your favorite quote?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein

Do you have any hobbies outside of work?
Too many! I mentioned sailing and my chickens, but I am also a chronic remodeler of both houses and cars. I hike, rock climb, and I'm up for anything outdoors. In my downtime or on airplanes you won't find me without my knitting.

You’re about to perform in a karaoke bar. What song do you pick?
"I Will Survive" - preferably the Cake remix

If you could hang out with anyone for a day, who would it be and why?
Definitely Robert Downy Jr. Aside from being an amazing actor I think it would be great to have a chance to hear how he went from being arrested and imprisoned on multiple drug offenses to being the most successful actor working in Hollywood.