Home Forums Development File structure in the Vault

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  marcus 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

russh
    Participant

Currently, it seems files attached in the CAD documents are saved in the vault in a multilevel folder structure which if I understand correctly is a folder named after the second and third letters of the file ID, then with in that a folder named after the file ID. This occurs with every single file, so you end up with a large complex folder structure.

Is there anyway to simplify this to add all files to a single folder, or if not to a set of folder that are named after the first 2 characters of the part number for example?

Thanks

Russ

marcus
    Participant

The subfolder structure makes things faster if there are many files.

NTFS does not scale well with 10k+ files in a single directory.

Why do you want to change this? You lookup files in the DB then get the File via ID from vault. There should be no need to bother with how the vault stores files.

russh
    Participant

We are quite a small company and Im not sure we will get up to over 10k of documents. But I do understand what you are saying. I guess I thought it would be tidier to have them all stored in a central location. For example, what if one day we decide to stop using Aras, or they stop making it. Retriving all the files will be a nightmare cause of them all being in a mass of seperate folders?

Another question I can not get my head around, is how do you go about uploading drawing and part files with out a CAD connector. For example, I use Solidworks. I create a part and a drawing in my local working folder.
    I then create a new CAD part and upload the drawing file and the part files. But the drawing file does not reference the file you have uploaded to Aras, it references the file location of the local folder. So if I open up the drawing file it can not located the CAD model?

marcus
    Participant

A small shell command or Total Commander can be used to find files in many subfolders and copy to a single folder.

For your other question, please post a new topic, as it makes it easier for everyone to find questions/answers.
    (Also, I have no idea)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.